Friday, July 11, 2008

The Name Game

Ya know it sucks the emphasis people put on names these days. Back in the day, you were named to honor another. Today, not so much. Today, it's all about what the celebs are naming their spoiled brat children or what spoiled dysfunctional ex-child stars gone to the dark side are named so that you don't curse your child with the same name. And possibly the same fate.

Ali's so lucky and she just doesn't get it. She and Blake had a rather easy go of it when they named Rayna, even if her middle name took a bit of deciding. Still not sure where they came up with Rhose, but hey, not my child, right? She keeps telling me to pick a good, strong name that I'm not going to tire of and stick with it.

It's so not that simple anymore.

Like, I'd name my son for my father, but well, Liam isn't something that most people can spell, let alone pronounce. And naming him after his daddy's not an option… I love Billy, and Bill's not bad, but there's just something about William… I dunno. Just doesn't sound like a name for a baby, ya know? Ali suggested variations but… not finding a thing that I like.

What's worse is, everyone seems to think that it's not just their right, but their DUTY to force their favorite and family names upon me. Why? I mean, Blake suggested Daven, after his brother who was killed when he was young, and that's at least a cool name, but not quite my style. He also suggested, rather cheekily if you ask me, the name Hunter, but that's just Blake. Ali's refraining… for now. I think she got enough of that while she was preggo with Raynie. And Billy? He's not being any help at all. Keeps telling me to name him what I want and that, just as long as I don't do something crazy, he's fine with it.

I told him I was thinking of naming him after a certain male country singer… And ya know what? He suddenly became involved in the process. *EVIL LAUGHTER* He's so easy… Too bad I meant Blake and not who he was thinking of…

So, this is what I've been getting hit with…

The Good:

Connor

Gabriel

Dayton

The Bad:

Travis

William (sorry honey)

Gerry

And The Ugly:

Phallyn (no WAY uh-huh, NOT with Blake around)

Stetson (although Daddy DID get a laugh out of that one)

Doogan

Okay, now that Ali's laughing over my shoulder while I'm writing this, she throws out, just off the cuff… Torin Kole. How the hell does she do this? And why the frak didn't she suggest this three months ago? AAAAAH!

The good news, honey? Our son-to-be now has a name!

~Shana, Torin, and a very happy, rather helpful Auntie Ali


 

1 comment:

Redheaded Mama said...

Ok, so I'm really late commenting on this, but you do know that Liam is a version of William, right?

Don't worry about it, my ex (also a William) HATED the idea of Liam. He also hated the fact that I wouldn't name the oldest child after him... stupid boy.

Love the name, hope Billy didn't freak out too much about it.